Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Biking Plans for 2012

Written on December 14.......Not a lot of good days for biking this time of year. I did get in 3 days last week, including a 25 mile ride with brother in law, Adam McCullough. But right night, I'm trying to shake a cold that's had me queezie and coughing since Sunday. No rides this week.
This time of year, I have lots of time to day dream about cycling. Got 3 goals in mind for 2012. I think one area that I need to work on is more consistent biking. I'll sometimes lay off a 2-3 weeks, then get on and do a 40-50 mile ride. I need to be more consistent, do 3 or so rides a week, even if it's for an hour or less.
So thinking, a good goal for 2012 would be to see how many days I can ride. Shoot for 150 days (less than 3 per week). That's goal #1.
Goal #2, in the spring, I'd like to do about a week long ride to visit my friend Robert in Batesville. I've looked at maps, think the route I'd like to try would be to go to Harrison, Yellville, south of Mountain Home, then to Batesville. On the return home, ride to Mt Ida, then head north to Yellville and back home. I've never done a spring tour. Three reasons....I'm busier in the spring, I'm not in as good of shape, and there's a good chance of getting wet or even storms. I'd camp the entire trip.
Goal #3, do a September ride of at least 2 weeks. I've done rides of 4 days, 2 of 6 days, and on 2 occasions, 7 days. I'm ready to tackle a longer ride. The idea I'm tossing around right now, is to head out on my bike, camping gear and all, then have Lajunta and Jerrie catch up with me a week or so later. Then ride one more week with Jerrie. I'd take what's known as the TransAmerica trail, which is a route used my many cross-country riders. It goes across southern Missouri (just north of Springfield). My idea would be to ride from home, the head east on the trail. In 2 weeks, should be able to get about half way across Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment