Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ragbrai 2010: July 25, Day One

Click on photos to enlarge.
Today we began in Sioux City, passed through the towns of Kingsley, Washta, and Quimby. The end of the day found us in Storm Lake.
For some reason when camping, I wake up early. I was awake at 5:30, which is early for me. Had a good night's sleep, temps in the low 60's. I don't usually like to eat a big breakfast, til later in the morning. So my usual routine is to drink some GatorAid and snack on some trail mix or pastry, or perhaps some fig newtons (as one guy told me, "the poor man's power bar").
Nick, our over night host, was up early to join us. He was only joining us for Sunday. Not sure, but I think the first day may bring out the largest number of riders, since it is Sunday and begins in a larger city. I think we were on the road by 7:15. 
 Either in the evening or first thing in the morning, I wrote in my journal the happenings of the previous day. Wait two days, and I forget things.


 Front view of the Hagerty's home where we camped. Was a nice, quiet location.
 Kids along the route, advertising food ahead.

 Many homes were decorated along the route. Sunday always brings out lots of riders, since it's Sunday, and close to a large city. Unofficially, I heard there may have been 23,000 riders this first day! Most days were around 16,000 riders.

 Many residents just came out to watch the bikes pass, and to often shout out greetings, or ask, "Where you from?"

 Not sure what this is on his head, but going fast down a hill, it made a noise like a horn.
 First day has a few hills. Middle 5 days were flat. Last day hilly.



 The trailer behind this bike is a stereo system, booming out the music! Seemed those guys were always going faster than the rest.
 The town of Kingsley, about 25 miles into the day.....and the usual traffic jam.
 Notice the "pie" on the heads of the riders? See, it wasn't so dumb for me to have my Razorback hat.
 These 3 people stopped me and wanted me to pose with them. They were from Little Rock.
 All-you-can-eat waffles, only $8.00. This one guy was cooking, using 35 waffle irons! He did have help mixing and bringing him batter. I ate 2.
 Karla and Jason, topping their waffles.
 Hmmm, was this waffle #1 or #2? Probably #2, as I wolfed down #1 rather fast.
 Karla, ready to hit the road again.
 A make-shift water slide.

 Mr. Pork Chop, a familiar sight on Ragbrai. They cook their pork chops over corn cobs.
 It's Jeffery, the watermelon guy! He followed us across the state. Seen him every day.
 Town decorated with flags to welcome the riders.
 Petting zoo.
Enjoyed their veggie burrito!


 Ok, funny story here. One of the more memorable moments of the day. See the photo below? This fellow's name was Scott. I was standing in line to use a porta potty (or as they call them in Iowa, Kybos). Was in the town of Washta. There's usually a long line, but several "kybos", so the line moves fast. I had on my Arkansas Razorback jersey. One of the local residents, Scott, comes over to me and says, "Are you from Arkansas?". I told him yes, I was. His reply, "I was stationed at the Jacksonville Air Base near Little Rock for 8 years. You are just like family. Follow me, you can come use the bathroom at my house". That's the toilet pictured above. What a nice break.....a real bathroom in an air conditioned house, as opposed to a "kybo".
I thanked them for their hospitality and left. I had gotten separated from Karla and Jason, but ran into them when I got back in the group. They were just coming into town. I asked, "You guys need to use the restroom?" They replied, "Yes". I said, "Follow me". Jason laughed, looked at Karla and said, "He's met someone".
They followed me to Scotts house. I knocked on the door and asked, "Ok if my daughter and son-in-law use your restroom?" Certainly! no problem.
Just another case of Iowa hospitality.

 A triple bike with a tag along.
 Even the state troupers were having fun.
 Free watermelon!
 Sorry, I can't remember these guy's names, but they are from Webb City, MO. I met them last year as I was driving home. About 30 minutes into today's ride, I heard someone say, "Hello, Larry". It was them!
 Grilling rib eye steaks to make sandwiches. Karla and Jason said they were great! I only had a piece of peach pie. I was able to stay on my vegetarian diet all week.
 A tent set up by the Gideons.
 Trivial question: "What do you call this type of bike?" It's known as a penny farthing. Only seen him one day.
 ....and there's always the banana man.
 Karla and Jason, posing in front of corn.


This machine was turning the ice cream. An old fellow told me it was about the same age as he was, 90 years old. It made a really odd sound, almost sounded like it was about to die...."bloop, bloop.........bloop, bloop.............bloop, bloop".


 Sure way to cool aching feet!
 Don't remember, either hog or turkey houses. I seen both.

 Seen lots of wind mills this year that produce electricity.
 Storm Lake, the over night town.


 Karla and Jason beat me in. We stayed at a school called, "Faith, Hope and Charity". Was a school for special needs children.
 The school served spaghetti dinners.
Lajunta in our tent.
Today's mileage, 66.3.

No comments:

Post a Comment