Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ragbrai 2010: July 31, Day Seven, Final Day

Note: Click on photos to enlarge.
The final day is usually the shortest day of the ride, this year about 47 1/2 miles. For me, today's highlight was visiting the farm where the movie, "Field of Dreams" was filmed and visiting with Carter LeBeau.
We passed through the towns of Earlville, Dyersville, Bankston, and Graf, before reaching Dubuque and the mighty Mississippi River.

 The day began with a delightful surprise. There was another couple spending the night at the home of our host.  Mr Carter LeBeau has ridden in all 38 Ragbrai rides! He is the only person to have done this. He and his wife, Kaye, came out of the house, about the same time we were about to leave. I thought to myself, "I would love to get a photo with him, but he is such a Ragbrai celebrity, I hate to ask". As they were coming out of the house, he seen my Razorback head gear (I thought since it was the last day and the mileage was short, I'd reattach the hog). I was delighted when Mr. LeBeau seen the Razorback, turned to his wife and said, "Grab the camera, Kaye, I want a photo with this guy".
What a wonderful fellow! We had a brief chat, found out he and his wife take turns riding. One rides half the day, while the other drives. Then at some point during the day, they swap places.



 Mr LeBeau is retired, having worked for many years for the Des Moines Register Newspaper, sponsor of Ragbrai.
 Group photo of team "Lost Cause" with the LeBeau's. Mr and Mrs LeBeau always wear their trademark socks!




 This little fellow's name is Jake. I met him and his mother last year. His mom was pulling a "bike chariot", so when he got tired, she could pull him and his bike in the trailer. If I remember correctly, the previous year he rode over 20 miles on a 12" bike. He was only 4 or 5 years old. This year, he graduated to a 16" bike, and rode over 40 miles!


 This was an interesting church we stopped to visit. It's the St Francis Xavier Basilica in Dyersville. You don't find these type of churches in rural Arkansas.
http://www.xavierbasilica.com/



 Jason buys a smoothie from a waitress. Was the only time I seen someone selling them like this.

 One of the highlights of the day, the location were the movie, "Field of Dreams" was filmed.

 Not really a ball game, but people lined up to bat, while others volunteered to play in the field. I stood at the edge of the field for awhile, but didn't field any balls.

 A souvenir stand.
 Posters  tell a little of the history of the property.

 "If you build it, he will come".

 Karla and Jason pose in front of the home.




"If you build it, he will come".

 Bet you never seen what it looks like, looking out of the corn field!



 Getting into the hilly country. We went down a long hill. But remember, what goes down, must go up. And oh boy, did it go up!!!


 Photo doesn't do this hill justice, and for some reason, I didn't take very many photos here. It was called "Potter's Hill". It was billed at a 19% grade, and was about a mile long. I've never pushed my current road bike up a hill, and was determined to not let this one break by record. One estimate was that 75% of riders pushed this hill at sometime. I was able to stay on my bike the whole way up. Yes, it was slow going at times, but I made it. Probably didn't do many photos because I was so focused on staying on the bike.

 Arriving in the edge of Dubuque, Iowa.


 The welcoming committee was out to greet us.

Beautiful flowers lined the roadway.


Being greetied at the end of the route by Iowa royalty.



Arriving with the masses at the Mississippi River.


Lajunta watched as we worked our way down to the river.

 Officially the end of Ragbrai, when you dip your front tire in the Mississippi.

Walking to the pick-up to load the bikes. Dubuque was a very pretty town. This is a sidewalk on the bank of the Mississippi.

 Vehicle loaded and time to head south.

Total mileage today, 48.25

Click here to go post ride summary.

No comments:

Post a Comment