Monday, March 7, 2011

Ragbrai 2010: July 30, Day Six

Today was a memorable day. Woke up at 5:00. One tip I'd read about Ragbrai, was to be sure and bring ear plugs, especially if you camp with a large group. Even though we were never in a big group of campers, I slept better if I put my ear plugs in. When I woke up today, I took out the ear plugs, and was surprised to hear some girls laughing and hollaring, almost at times sounding like screams. I listened for awhile, at first a little concerned about what was happening. Then I figured out there was a pool at the house across the road. They were jumping off the diving board and having a good time.
It was also the first time we'd camping right along the next day's route. When I got out of my tent, there were already cycles passing, at 5:00am! And it was just starting to get daylight. I'd heard that riders sometime start at 4:00-4:30, but I'd never seen them.


I checked the weather forecast on my cell phone, they were predicting a 30% chance of morning rain and 60% by pm. Decided we should get on the road soon, and hopefully beat the rain. That was not to be.
About 30 minutes into the ride, it began to rain. We got soaked.
We rode a good part of the day in a steady rain, probably 45-50 miles. Seen some lightening on the horizon, but never felt in danger. I was certainly glad I had a cheap little rain poncho. It made a lot of noise in the wind, so I ended up wearing it under my wind breaker. It was also a little cool today. Someone could have made a fortune, selling hot chocolate, tea, and coffee along the route.
Actually, I don't mind too much riding in the rain. It's almost like a radiator that keeps you cool! The rain finally stopped, with about 10-15 miles of riding to go. Then a head wind started blowing.
Didn't do much stopping or goofing off today, just tired to get to the home of our over-night host. We arrived in Manchester about 1:00.
We passed through Washburn, Gilbertville, Jubilee, Shady Grove, Rowley, Quasqueton and Winthrop before stopping in Manchester for the night.

 Riders on the road before daylight.

 The home were we stayed. Sorry I did not get a photo of the couple who hosted us. Might have been because they were so busy with all their guests!

 Eating a cinnamon roll, provided by our hosts, before hitting the road.

 Karla and Jason, ready to start the days adventure.


 Before Lajunta could get left, it began to rain.

 Photo taken by Lajunta of the string of traffic she had to drive in.

 Glad they had tents set up! Might have been our only food stop of the day.

 Rain, rain, and more rain.

 Pie, pie, and more pie.


 Always smiling faces of those who served us.



 We rode several more miles, and stopped at a convenience store.

 Jason was lucky enough to get a cup of hot coffee at the convenience store.

 Kids handing out free water!

 The rain finally let up. I should have stopped and visited with this fellow.....playing music and I guess filming the riders.



 The party crowd as we arrived in Manchester. The rain finally stopped and sun came out.

 Karla and Jason arriving.


 Our shoes were soaked from the morning rain, so we found a place to put them, so the sun would dry them.

 Karla and Jason walked down town to a church that was serving "Surf and Turf", while Lajunta and I borrow Jason's pick-up and drove to a place I'd seen advertising, called the "Pizza Ranch". I think the key words that got my attention were "All-You-Can-Eat" Pizza Buffet. Really enjoyed the meal!

 I walked down town after meal of pizza. I met this couple from Little Rock.

 Portable shower facilities.

 Possibly, the worst business decision of any business I seen this week. A sign said, "Closed Friday". Can you imagine, owning a laundromat and closing the day 16,000 people come to town in sweaty clothing that needs washed?

 Sharon, our host for the night, left a greeting on her black board. We had planning to camp outside tonight, but with a chance of rain, Sharon said we should bring our sleeping bags inside and sleep in her basement.

 Sharon and her dogs.

 Lajunta and Karla pose for a photo with Sharon and her dogs.

 Writing about the day's activities in my journal.


Total mileage today, 61.83

Click here to go to day 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment